2016 Wooden Boat Outing and Float June 11th, Newago Mi.

I know this is the other side of the country but thought I would throw it out there.

First annual outing we hope will grow each year, put together through the MichiganSportsman.com website. Looks like a very small group at this point.

Just in case anyone is around or wants to travel a little, Dorf and myself have put together a outing for next weekend, centered at the Ed Henning campground in Newago Mich. I`ll be there Fri afternoon thru Sun morning.

Sat morning 8am-9am we will meet at Thornapple and float the Crown Jewel labeled Muskegon River from Thornapple to the Henning campground, about a 6 hr float. Dorf has rented the group site at the boat launch at Henning (the take out ramp) for Sat/Sat night that up to 20 people can spend the night on. In the evening we will display boats at the group site and have a cookout with burgers, brats and some fixins.

This is a nice but smaller campground with electric and showers. There is also the Gray Drake Lodge close by that offers first class accommodations and fine dining.

If by chance anyone wants more info just ask.

Views: 588

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am very happy to hear about your event and just wish I had more funds so I could attend. I will be be busy excercising and rebuilding my boat's seat however!

Rick N

Rick

Here's a shot of what I got out of Mike Baker's seat design

I used 2" webbing for the seat - if you decide to go this way, let me know, or check the post of my build - I'd add one improvement. 

What would you change? I have seen the seatbelt webbing seats in Oregon.

Rick

The space between the fir 2x6 webbing support and the AYC tackle box side doesn't allow you to countersink a hole to recess the washer and nut holding the end of the webbing. Next time, I'd drill and countersink the hardware holes prior to assembling. 

We are planning to attend.  Need to clean up the boat, it's looking "well used" right now.

well used is perfect!!! thats how its suppose to look :)

Rick, maybe one of these years you could make it. It is said by authors Bob Linsenman and Steve Nevala that this river has characteristics of famous western rivers!! Its a cold water river with lots of hatches. I hope we can catch some nice fish and share some pics. The outing is more about just meeting people and having a good time with fishing as a bonus. Should be fun

Is there anything specific you guys would like for us (my wife and I) to bring?

For the Sat evening cookout I`m bringing burgers and brats, baked beans, ketsup.mustard, relish, plates napkins silverware, cheese, onions, fire wood and my gas grill. Phil rented the group site and is still bringing potato salad and chips. Any other dish to add would be great. We didnt get any feedback if anyone else is bringing anything.

Might want to bring your own chairs!!

Desserts!!!!!!

Good call Phil....:)

I had something come up and likely won't make it. Bummed.
I will try to catch up with you guys next time.

The first and probably the last Wooden Boat Float in Michigan is HISTORY!

I'd like to express my thanks for Stone Fly (Mike T.) for all his efforts to make this event a memorable one. He busted his butt to make this a success, too bad more people did not take advantage of it. He purchased a bunch of food and stuff for about 30 people in addition of advertising it in a bunch of West Michigan Fly Shops.  Just the two of us stayed for the cookout, lots of leftovers. 

We had three boats and had a great day on the river. In addition to Mike and me was Honyuk96 (Matt) and his buddy Bob. Matt was familiar with this river section, the Muskegon River's Thornapple Launch to Henning Co. Park in Newaygo and was helpful in floating the river.  We launched at 7:30 AM and worked our way down river and finished about 4:00 PM.  Fishing was pretty good too, as we all caught fish.  Lot's of Brookies, Browns and Rainbows in the river.  Mike got a picture of a Gar-Pike, was a big one too.

Here's a couple of pictures:

Mike you did a hell of a job, Thanks,

Dorf

RSS

© 2024   Created by Randy Dersham.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service